Sunday, February 6, 2011

Head Games

I don't know why this happened, but it did. It started with an abstraction. I turned a large piece of unstretched canvas upside down, saw a head, and a series was born. The 'Heads' number 10, so far. Many will be premiered at Hollingsworth Gallery, 160 Cypress Point Pkwy, Suite 210B, Palm Coast, FL on the evening of Feb 12th. Join us for music, art and some nibbles. And check out a preview of a 'head' inspired by my husband, which I've entitled Zee, below.

My art is also featured at the Artists' Workshop of New Smyrna Beach's 53rd Annual Member's Show. Robert Sindelir was the judge. This jurist hails from Miami-Dade and is the former Director of Miami-Dade's renowned Art In Public Places program. The luncheon was held yesterday at Sugar Mill Country Club, New Smyrna Beach. I earned Best of Show. Stop by Atlantic Center for the Arts' gallery at Harris House, located at 214 South Riverside Dr., New Smyrna Beach, FL (386.423.1743) to see a really cool show. Sara Higgins, the Community Arts Manager for ACA, curated the gallery for this show and did a stellar job. My winning piece, Imminent Threat I, is depicted here.

This piece was influenced by the events of September 11, 2011, an event that led to the demise of eight friends, my husband (a now-retired Jersey City police officer) rummaging through the remains of the Twin Towers in Manhattan for evidence and survivors as a first responder, the scare of a lifetime; and that influenced (in my humble opinion as a political scientist) a shift in American politics. Although it wasn't intended to be a political statement, it has been construed that way. I'm curious to hear your interpretation. Here are a few more photos from the awards luncheon and opening at Harris House Gallery:


And if you're in Volusia County next weekend, stop by the Harris Gallery - Art League of Daytona Beach on February 13th at 1 p.m. for the opening of Nexus, a collaborative show into which I've been juried. The Art League is located at 433 S. Palmetto Ave., Daytona Beach, FL 32114.

No comments: